Adsense

Thursday, January 25, 2018

When You Turn Off Your Water

I can't speak for other states but in Florida, if you turn off your water while you are away, it is important to take certain steps.

1. Block all your drains, sinks, shower, tub and overflow. I use metal pot scrubbers and paper towel in the tub drain covers with duct tape. 

2. Fill the bowl of your toilet.

3. Saran wrap your toilet. I know this sounds weird but I have done it for the last two years and this year I realized just what a good idea it was. When I arrived this year, my guest bathroom had a huge palmetto bug in it, when the water evaporates the bugs can get in. If I had not Saran wrapped the bowl and held down the seat with a heavy cookbook that bug would have been in my house. As it was I waved bye-bye as I flushed him down and then I removed the wrapping. 

4. Don't forget to cover your garbage disposal as well. 

The first few years I didn't turn off the water, but I realized that the potential for damage to the house from water pipe issues or a running toilet can add up to big charges. 

No comments:

Post a Comment