Adsense

Thursday, January 11, 2018

This Snowbird is Heading South

We left the frozen north on January 1st and the first two legs of our journey south were quite uneventful. Had I been more alert I would have known that I really should have driven twice as far each day so that we could get south before Grayson hit but of course, I wasn't paying attention and we realized when we got to Mooresville, NC that we would not be able to continue to head toward Savannah which had been hit with a record-setting cold and snow event. If that wasn't enough, Charleston was also pounded so I-95 was a nightmare as only snow and ice in the south can create. 

We hunkered down for an extra day here in Mooresville but since the cold seems to want to hang around we have decided to change our route and go by way of I-85 from Charlotte to Atlanta and then I-75 home. Which brings up a good point, knowing the alternative routes. We usually just go the same way with the big decision coming once we are on I-10 in northern Florida. 

So, instead of Friday, we got home on Saturday. It is only one day late and since we spent the night at my brother's, we didn't end up spending more money but it is the uncertainty that was not a lot of fun. I should have planned better for contingencies. I have to say too that our hotels have been very cooperative in allowing us to change dates without penalty. Thank you to both Candlewood Suites and Fairfield Inn for their generosity.  

No comments:

Post a Comment