Adsense

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Condo vs House for Snowbirds

Obviously, personal preference will play a role in this decision. My husband is not a condo kind of guy, he likes to own a freestanding home. For me, a condo makes good sense and might be easier to maintain but I will be honest, when it came time to make the decision, I just fell in love with our house and I didn't care that it wasn't a condo. 


Home

When you own a free-standing home you have more responsibilities. You need to arrange for lawn care when you are not at home. This has not been an issue, we have a very good lawn man but it is something you need to think about. You are also responsible for your roof and air conditioner. With some condos, you may also have this responsibility so don't think that you are off the hook on this one especially if you chose a townhouse style. 

Condo

A condo can be in a multi-story building or it can be a townhouse style. either way, you will have neighbors on at least one side of you. I hate having people over me, I invariably get under a tap dancer!! lol  I prefer not to have to hear my neighbors but that is just me, it is why I don't live in an apartment. 

HOA

Another thing my hubs hates is HOA, me not so much. In my opinion, it offers us great value. For our $114 we get basic cable, garbage pickup and access to terrific amenities including the gate which makes me feel much safer both when I am here and especially when I am away back in Connecticut. 

So, while I can't tell you what will work best for you, I can suggest that you look at both options and consider all things including cost. 

No comments:

Post a Comment